New ZiggyLand

Monday, January 17, 2011

I think we're speaking the same language...

When I moved to New Zealand 3 1/2 years ago I sometimes couldn't tell if I was speaking the same language as Kiwis. They all seemed to talk out of half their mouths, and they were mumblers and quiet talkers. I always had to ask people to repeat what they said and then after the third time, I'd get tired of asking and just smile.

After 3 years, I can understand the Kiwi accent and the Aussie and British accents as well. But, sometimes the colloquialisms from each culture still surprise me and context clues don't even help.

So, here are some of my favorites (or favourites) with translations:

British/Kiwi ... American translation
It's all swings and roundabouts... Six of one half dozen of the other.

I'm not tellin tales out of school... I'm not saying anything I shouldn't be.

Can I have a squiz?... Can I see?

It all went pear shaped... It didn't turn out as expected and went bad.

Turned to custard... It didn't turn out as expected and went bad.

Money for jam... Getting paid for doing nothing.

Up at sparrows fart... Up at the crack of dawn.

I got stuff all done today... I didn't get anything done today.

Mutton dressed as lamb... An older woman trying to look young. A cougar.

I was talking with my boss - who I got some of the expressions from - and he was surprised that Americans didn't have as many sayings. I couldn't think of any. Do we have any expressions or metaphors that are half as interesting? Maybe it sounds so out of the ordinary and noteworthy and, I hate to say it - quaint, because of his thick London accent. Whatever it is, it definitely makes life at the office a bit more interesting.

Anyway, thanks for having a squiz at my post.

2 Comments:

At January 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Alan & Tina said...

I laughed OUT LOUD at the sparrow's fart one--I think I'll try to start using that. (How do you think it will go over??) My father-in-law has some funny southern sayings. "Going 'round your elbow to get to your knee" means something was much more complicated that it should have been. How about "Shut your pie hole?" or "Blow it out your ear?"

 
At January 18, 2011 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Becky, Jody, & Tina said...

"I ain't got squat."
"You're full of it."
"Too pooped to pop."
"What in the sam hill?!?"
"For the love of God..."
"Well I'll be a monkey's uncle."
"That's da bomb."
(Tell us when to stop. Alan & I are up a little too late...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home