New ZiggyLand

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is anyone here a marine biologist?

Two weeks ago there was a beached whale across the street from our house. So, my flatmate Hilary and I took off in the morning to see it. It came in on the tide and the poor orca had to wait until the tide came back in. So, volunteers were carrying buckets of water to pour on her to keep her wet and they covered her with blankets and towels to keep the moisture in.



I went back over at about 2:30 and the tide was in. The whale had started floating in the shallow water. It took about 15 minutes before she swam off. There were hundreds of people watching from the beach and from the dunes. When the whale took off into the sea, the beach erupted in cheers and clapping. It was very moving - seeing such a huge creature come back to life and go out to sea. I was a little disappointed with myself because instead of thinking deep thoughts about the fragility of life, the only thing I could think about was the Seinfeld episode when George has to pretend that he's a marine biologist. The entire time I was watching from the beach, I just wanted to call out, "Is anyone here a marine biologist?" I half expected to see the whale expert who was present for our whale to come out of the water with a golf ball - but it didn't happen.

3 Comments:

At October 11, 2008 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Alan & Tina said...

I don't know what is more striking--the thought of an animal of that immensity requiring help from humans, or the hilarious thought of you suppressing the urge to yell out Seinfeld lines!! I LOVE it!!!

 
At October 20, 2008 at 1:17 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Seriously--across the street from your house? I feel like you live on another planet. How cool to experience that. And how funny about Seinfeld ;)

 
At November 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Jenn, I know why we are such good friends...as soon as I started reading your blog entry, I, too, was thinking about that Seinfeld episode! Enjoyed looking at your photos, what an enormous beast.
Hope you had a good thanksgiving..we went skiing today and had a blast! I've been snowshoeing quite a bit too. See you soon, Mindy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home