New ZiggyLand

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Birthday weekend

In case you didn't know, my birthday was this past thursday.


My students were all very nice to me on my birthday ( I had to keep reminding them about the specal day). Two students picked flowers from people's yards for me and another brought in some legitimate flowers for me.



Later in the day, Carolyn and Sarah, my 2 new friends who teach at the high school, made dinner for me and I blew out the candles on my birthday mallow-puffs. Di - I didn't try to hide the cheek puffing.





Then, on Friday, I headed down to visit Kathy for the weekend.
We (the fam and I) went to a great little Mediterranean restuarant.



Saturday, Kathy, some of the kids, and I went for a hike in the Wairongamai Valley (go ahead and try to say it outloud).
Ella is leading the way.

Lydia and me.

Owen in front of really really steep mining rails.

I don't think they have trees like this at the Gunpowder.


Sunday and Monday were pretty laid back. I had off Monday because of Labour Day (that's the way they spell it here). Robyn, thanks for thinking of me. The weather has been pretty cold and rainy so I haven't been doing to much outside. Hopefully, it will start to warm up so I can get outside more. Kathy and I were pretty restless this weekend because of the cold and rain.

Life is going well here - I'm getting used to living in a small town. I'm not quite sure if I like small town life, but I'm getting used to it. I'm starting to get a handle on teaching and lesson plans, so with the weather getting better, I hope to do some camping and hiking and not just lesson planning. The students are settling down - I'm not getting as many questions as I did when I first got here. The questions were all about gangs, if I ever met anyone famous, if I knew Eminem, if ever saw anyone get shot, is Tu Pac really dead, and am I a blood or a cryp (not sure of the spelling).

Kathy and Steve's place is my second home here - actually, I think it might be my first home. I'm about an hour and 20 minutes from them (now that I've stopped speeding). Everytime I come to visit, the room is clean and sunny and there are fresh flowers.
I think Kathy's called me just about everyday, to make sure life in Pukekohe is going well. She and the whole family have been so generous with their time, their home, their prayers, their car, and their friendship. I am so blessed to have been friends with Kathy for so many years. Thanks for a great birthday weekend!!

5 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!!! Nice cheeks ;)

 
At October 24, 2007 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!!
Oh, and that'd be, "crips." lol

 
At October 24, 2007 at 10:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a nice birthday; although I kinda begrudge Kathy, Steve, Carolyn and Sarah and all of New Zealand for getting to celebrate it with you instead of us!
Di

 
At October 26, 2007 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Mama Gapp said...

Happy Belated, Beautiful! It is so good to see your smiling face!

 
At November 6, 2007 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, time for your November post! No pressure, just need more Jen in my life...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home