New ZiggyLand

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Baltimore and Mount Doom

A friend, Tim, arrived from Baltimore about 2 weeks ago. I was so excited to see him, especially because he was bringing gifts from home. Tim carted a box from my sister filled with fun things for me and kathy's kids. I'm pretty she sure cleaned out the local dollar store and her cabinets. We got 2 big bags of Lemon Heads, gum, a whoopie cushion, bungie cords, books, videos of Masterpiece theatre, and the bag of marshmallows in the picture below. The bag was less than half full - not even enough to make Rice Krispie treats.

Thanks for everything else Di - I ate all of the Swiss Cake Rolls in one day and didn't even feel bad about it.

Tim arrived early Monday morning - we went and got breakfast then I dropped him off to go for a hike and I went in to work. Not the best way to greet someone who came 9000 miles, but it was the best I could do. Matamata is the home of Hobbiton - he wanted to see it while I was at work, but there's nothing there except holes in the ground, and they charge $50 to walk near the holes - you can't even go in them. So, he skipped that and went for a hike that didn't cost anything.
I only had to work for 2 hours, then I picked him up, and we drove over to Papamoa - my home - and went right to a cafe/bar to watch the Superbowl. For those of you who are timezone challenged, we are 18 hours ahead of the east cost, so kickoff was Monday 12 noon. We didn't get to see commercials but we did get to see a good game.

On Wednesday, we headed about 3 hours south to the Tongaririo crossing - aka Mount Doom. It took us about 6 hours to do the hike. It was freezing and really really windy and there were orks everywhere.




Tim's on the South Island seeing alot of the sites that I got to see this summer- hopefully when he gets back at the end of the week, I'll have more pictures to show for his time here.

6 Comments:

At February 18, 2008 at 10:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A whoopie cushion? Seriously? So funny ;)
Do you know why the water is so blue in that one picture of your Mt. Doom hike? I'd be scared of the Orks for sure...

 
At February 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Jen Zig said...

Why yes I do Robyn - Their brilliant greenish colour is caused by minerals that have leached from the surrounding thermal area. (I love Google).

 
At February 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Alan & Tina said...

I am so glad that box of goodies made it into Tim's bag--we were all feeling doubtful when Di lugged it to the Smiths' the Hamiltopia before his departure. Maybe they ate the marshmallows to make room. All the hiking looks INCREDIBLE! I'm sure the karate moves you used on that bird a while back came in handy for the orks.

 
At February 21, 2008 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Chip said...

Sounds like you are having an awesome experience. Betsey and I watched the Lord of the Rings again the other night and seeing your pictures is cool. How long are you staying...

 
At February 21, 2008 at 9:10 PM , Blogger It's a Wonderful Life said...

Well, I'd heard that good marshmallows are hard to come by in New Zealand, and, like I always say: A few good marshamallows is better than no good marshmallows...???
And Robyn, who doesn't love a whoopie cusion :)
Di
P.S. I can't wait till Tim gets back so I can touch his beard!

 
At November 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home