New ZiggyLand

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Deep in the Bush - Stewart Island

Well - what can I say about this past week? I did so many things I've never done before. I camped at Stewart Island for the week with some of the best people in the whole world - and I'm not exaggerating. They made me feel right at home as they hunted in the bush, fished, explored, napped, read, ate toast, played cards, butchered deer, cleaned fish . . .

The week started with a ferry ride across from the south island, then we hopped on another boat to take us around the island to Lord’s River.






The landscape is so different from what I've seen so far. The bush is so thick and untouched. You really have to know your way around the bush and the sea to make it out there. I never went off on my own - I'm definitely not feral enough for that.



I’m not sure if I look good in hunter orange, but I definitely know that I’m not cut out for hunting. Apparently, you have to be really really still and try your hardest not to move. I thought I was as quiet and still as a ninja, but Beth said that it looked like I was waving hi to the deer as I constantly shewed the sandflies from my face. Surprisingly, we didn’t see any deer, but I’m sure they saw us. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had seen a deer. I think my initial reaction would have been to yell, “Run for your life - she’s got a gun.” So, it’s probably better that we didn’t see anything.


They did manage to get a few deer, and I even had a bite of venison. But, now that I’m on the mainland again, I’m back to being vegetarian.




Julie and I having morning target practice. This was the first time I ever shot a gun and apparently, according to the experts, I wasn't half bad.



I had a blast fishing. I’ve been fishing before but never caught anything. I couldn’t believe how many fish I caught. It was really easy - just put the line over the side, and they would bite almost immediately.



Stewart was nice enough to bait my hooks but I tried to do a couple on my own.

I didn’t join in the gutting and cleaning of the fish - I just got close enough for a picture.


The camping conditions weren't as rough as I thought they would be. We had a hut to use for cooking and hanging out. Stewart and Beth brought solar showers. It was great to get clean and we had an ocean view while showering. I was a little startled one morning when I realized a seal was spying on me. He was about 10 feet from me and was just staring. He eventually turned around and left but I did feel a bit cheapened by the experience.


We had a relaxed week, but managed to do quite a bit. My camera died about half way through the week - I have more pictures to add but have to get them from the rest of the group.

By the end of the week, I had done so many new and different things - just being there was an adventure for me. The week was full of good conversation, good coffee, good fish, really good toast, and wonderful friends.

3 Comments:

At January 12, 2008 at 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your face in the bait pictures...I love it! Looks like such a fun adventure :)

 
At January 17, 2008 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and pics. We are looking forward to your visit in April

Yoy have had qute an experience! shooting, fishing, being stalked by a seal...

Lov from Mom and me

 
At January 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny!!! Luisa M. Here.... I saw the familia this past weekend and got the website address so i could check u out!!! So good to see your pics...email me sometime (lm1972us@yahoo.com) !!! LOVE YA!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home