New ZiggyLand

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Week One

My first official stop was Nelson Lakes National Park. Went for a day hike, some great views, and met up with some fun Israeli hikers.


This guy (no idea how to pronounce or spell his name) wanted me to take a picture with him and his scarf that had the name of his favorite basketball team - and I have no idea what it is. Apparently, basketball is very popular in Israel.

My next stop was Arthur's Pass National Park in the Southern Alps. Did 3 days of hiking and on the last day promised my feet I would take it easy on them the next couple of days if they got me to the end of the trail. I met some Americans and hiked with them for a while - they were great because I started getting really nervous walking across some of the ridges at the top and they were nice enough to talk me through it - I don't think I've ever done anything like this before or ever been that high up. The scenery was amazing and I'd like to say that I pondered a lot of deep ideas as I was hiking - I did for a little bit - but most of the time I ended up thinking about Frodo and Sam and their trek to Mount Doom. At other times, when I was scrambling up rocks and holding on to roots, I felt more like Gollum - only I think he was a little more graceful.



This is where I spent New Year's Eve. I had a one day hike into the shelter and then a very long hike the next day out, but it was definitely worth it.




I'm spending the day in Christchurch - trying to get my car reorganized, taking care of some chores, resting my feet, and heading to the beach. I head off tomorrow for the southern tip of the south island and then over to Stewart Island for a week. I think the next island after Stewart Island is Antartica. I'll be staying with some friends while they hunt and fish. When I asked them what I needed to bring, they said "all the normal camping gear and a rifle." So, it should be interesting . . .

4 Comments:

At January 3, 2008 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Alan & Tina said...

We are "Jealous As"! To think that while we watch Return of the King, that you are actually hiking there! That's cool as!

Missing you....

Tina and Alan

 
At January 6, 2008 at 11:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures :) Looks like you are having some fun adventures straight out of LOTR. Can't wait to hear more about the place where you need a rifle...yikes!

 
At January 7, 2008 at 1:33 AM , Blogger It's a Wonderful Life said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the scenery is great and all, but YOU...YOU look Mahvelous! Tan, skinny, happy--who says you can't have it all?
Seriously, though, you look hot as.
(I dare you to freak out on the next New Zealander who says that and yell "Finish the simile, da__it!")
"When ya comin' home, Jen? I don't know when; but we'll get together then, yeah. Ya know we'll have a good time then."
Happy travels.
Di (and, yes, my blog is updated--just for you, sis!)

 
At January 12, 2008 at 1:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
From one feral hunter to another, I just wanna say we had a great time at the island with ya, and hope your jandals have recovered. Have a fabulous time in the Fiords (sp?) and we'll see ya in a week.

Ps - Just seen the heat wave on the tele, you truly must be 'hot as' (sorry couldn't resist!!)!!!!!

Sweet as (a nut),
Cool as (a cucumber),

JB

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home