New ZiggyLand

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Weekend at the Beach

It's the beginning of March and we're getting close to the end of summer. But this past weekend was just beautiful. I woke up Saturday morning, did some chores around the house and then went for a surf in front of my house. There was hardly any wind, and the sea was glassy and the waves were small - perfect conditions for me. I spent about an hour and a half in the water, got out, and then drove up the coast to meet Kathy and Steve and the kiddos at Opoutere beach where they were camping for the weekend. They've gotten into surfing as well so we spent the rest of Saturday afternoon in the water on surfboards and boogie boards.

These pictures are on the walk to the beach. There was a peaceful little pine forest on the walk in between the campsite and the beach.


Here's a picture of our campsite - I think it looked a bit like a gypsy tent than a campsite.


I brought my summer sleeping bag and even though it's the end of summer and the day was warm, the nights definitely are cold. I also forgot my thermarest. I was totally unprepared for camping so I ended up getting so cold in the middle of the night that I slept in my car. I really hate doing that.

The next day was just as nice as Saturday. We went to a harbor where Ella "surfed" in the calm water.

I realized I didn't get any pictures of us in the water. I guess we were having too good a time for me to stop and take pictures of all the other Veltman surfers. After we packed up, we headed to another beach, hung out there for the afternoon and then took off home. Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

4 Comments:

At March 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. What a fun life you have! I'm so glad you have a blog so we get to share in it with you :)

 
At March 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Alan & Tina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM , Blogger meganwf said...

I heard a story on NPR about duck pin bowling in Baltimore and thought of you. The HBO show "the Wire" has ended so the media keeps talking Baltimore. So I keep thinking of you. Oh, and every time I use our toaster I think of you! So then I bop on over to the computer and there you are. Your beautiful pictures make it look so amazing!

When do you come home? megan@frasers.org

 
At March 21, 2008 at 1:06 PM , Blogger meganwf said...

here's the duckpin link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88325819

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home