New ZiggyLand

Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Weekend

Well, this is another major holiday away from home. I've celebrated Christmas, New Years, and now Easter on this side of the world. I haven't really missed the traditions of home - not nearly as much as the people. That part of being homesick doesn't ever go away and I kind of hope that it doesn't.
Since I've been here, I've made some great friends including a fellow marylander who had the urge to make Buffalo wings and peanut butter eggs. Even though I just said I don't really miss the "things" back home, I wasn't going to pass up chocolate and peanut butter.

So, Thursday night Ted (the Marylander), Sarah ( the Canadian), and I made hot wings and peanut butter eggs and we talked about North American stuff.
Here are the wings - courtesy of Ted.
The eggs in the making.

The final product.

Everything was really really good and I have to admit, sharing the familiar things of home with people who understand made the night special.

Then, Friday morning, Sarah and I took off for the west coast to camp for the weekend. The town of New Plymouth is on the water and a half an hour from Mt. Taranaki.

Saturday morning we took off to hike Mt Taranaki, 8261 feet high. It was a long way up - especially since we started at sea level. We had to hike through scree (not sure if I spelled it right) and I had the hardest time hiking through it. I don't know how people were doing it. I told Sarah to go ahead of me and I'm glad I did because I would have just been comic relief for her. Scree is really deep gravel and rock and ash. Apparently, there's a way to walk through it but I don't know how to do it. I was watching people walk up the side of the mountain and I'm on all fours digging my hands into the scree as I slid backwards. It took forever to get to the top and I was not graceful at all. As I was clawing my way to the top, people were walking past, staring at me with a bewildered look on their faces.
Here's Taranaki from sea level.

The walk up. If you look close, you'll notice I'm wearing fleece pants. Apparently, I thought I was hiking Everest in winter.


The dreaded scree.

Views from the top.



We camped on the beach and had amazing views of the sunset.



At our campsite, there was a Christian Surfers retreat weekend. So, I joined them Sunday morning for their Easter service. It was a simple service worshipping the Lord and remembering what he did for us on the cross. It was good to be with others who shared the excitement and hope of knowing a savior who rose from the dead. It was also good to have the benediction be, "So, let's enjoy what the Lord has given to us, and hit the surf."

Even though I wasn't at home, I had a wonderful time with some new traditions and new and wonderful friends.

5 Comments:

At March 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Jen! Looks like you had a great time (minus the scree)and made some fun memories. Love you!

 
At March 28, 2008 at 11:04 PM , Blogger meganwf said...

>>It was also good to have the benediction be, "So, let's enjoy what the Lord has given to us, and hit the surf." <<

What a riot. Miss you!

 
At March 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM , Blogger Mama Gapp said...

Ok, SERIOUSLY--are these pictures for REAL?!? Love and miss you!

 
At March 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, what a beautiful country! Reading your scree comments made me laugh out loud! Your new flat looks warm and cozy, and I'm glad to hear you're flat mates are fun. Now I have to ask: are Ted's wings as good as the French Creek Taverns?!?
Love ya and can't wait to see you in April.....Mindy and gang

 
At April 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Alan & Tina said...

The scree story made me laugh out loud!! And the benediction reminded me of how my great uncle Bill would start off a prayer meeting, "Ok, let's keep 'em short and not all cut the same grass."
Counting down the days...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home